Ethics is a philosophy concerning what’s right and what’s wrong.
Computer ethics contains of the followings:
- Plagiarism and intellectual property rights
- Legal implications
(Well of course you know what it is! If you don’t, go downstairs and find Mr. Mobsbee; he would teach you a personal lesson.)
- Contributes to social well-being
- Avoids harm to others (i.e.
- Is fair and prevents discrimination
- Honers property rights
Intellectual property rights
Different softwares have different policies. Here are some main categories:
|Free software||Open source software||Freeware||Trialware|
|Free of charge?||Only the evaluation period|
|Source code available?|
NOT COPYRIGHTED SOFTWARE:
- Free softwareNot to mistaken with “Freeware”.Users are free to do whatever they want — run, copy, change or modify.
- Open source softwareSource code is open to the users — but under a copyright.
- FreewareCan be downloaded free of charge.
- Shareware / Trial wareSoftware that could be used without license for a period of time.
License would be needed after the evaluation period.
- Hacking — Gaining unauthorized access to a computer’s software or data
(Which includes cracking softwares, planting viruses and spying)
- Offense to software policy
- Using trial ware beyond evaluation period
- Violating the terms and conditions of the software, for example
- Using site-license programs for personal use
- Selling commercial software to others
Developers must ensure that:
- Data Gathering
- Gather data fairly and lawfully
- Only used as stated purpose
- Make sure is secure
- Individuals have the right to view data stored about him.
An offense to the software could bring you a lawsuit — unless it’s under national security, crime or taxation..